Statement of Position and Purpose
We believe that gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex Catholics in our diversity are members of Christ's mystical body, numbered among the People of God. We have an inherent dignity because God created us, Christ died for us, and the Holy Spirit sanctified us in Baptism, making us temples of the Spirit, and channels through which God's love becomes visible. Because of this, it is our right, our privilege, and our duty to live the sacramental life of the Church, so that we might become more powerful instruments of God's love working among all people.
We believe that gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex persons can express their sexuality and gender identities and expressions in a manner that is consonant with Christ's teaching. We believe that we can express our sexuality physically, in a unitive manner that is loving, life-giving, and life-affirming. We believe that all sexuality should be exercised in an ethically responsible and unselfish way. We believe that our transgender and queer communities can express their core identities in a sincere, affirming and authentic manner.
DIGNITY is organized to unite gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex Catholics, as well as our families, friends and loved ones in order to develop leadership, and be an instrument through which we may be heard by and promote reform in the Church.
To be such an organization, we accept our responsibilities to the Church, to our Catholic heritage, to society, and to individual gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex Catholics.
- TO THE CHURCH: We work for the development of sexual and gender theology leading to the reform of its teachings and practices regarding human sexuality, gender identities, and gender expressions, and for the acceptance of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender, queer and intersex peoples as full and equal members of the one Christ.
- TO SOCIETY: We work for justice and equality through education and by supporting social and legal reforms.
- TO INDIVIDUAL GAY, LESBIAN, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, QUEER and INTERSEX CATHOLICS: We reinforce their sense of self-acceptance and dignity and encourage full participation in the life of the Church and society.
As members of Dignity, we promote causes of interest to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender, queer and intersex Catholics. We have five primary areas of concern and commitment:
- SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT: We strive to achieve Christian maturity through the sacraments, Scripture, prayer, an active love of neighbor as ourselves, and liturgical celebrations, especially the Mass.
- EDUCATION: We inform ourselves in all matters of faith and of interest to our communities, so that we may grow in maturity and may nurture fulfilling lives in which our sexuality, gender identities, gender expressions and spirituality are integrated.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE: As Catholics and members of society, we involve ourselves in those actions that bring the love of Christ to others and provide the basis of social reform in the Church and society. We are actively involved with:
- Individuals: We lead a life of service to ourselves and others, rendering visible the love of Christ and assisting in the creation of love centered communities.
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender, Queer and Intersex Groups: We work with a variety of other groups to seek justice for all persons and to promote a sense of solidarity within the communities.
- Religious and Secular Groups: We work with many groups and organizations so that their members might better understand gay, lesbian, bisexuals, and transgender, queer and intersex persons and thus recognize and eliminate present injustices.
- Health Care: We work to promote equal access and justice in all areas of health care and healing.
- Women's Justice Issues: We strive to eradicate sexism and patriarchy in all areas of Church and secular life so that women, both cisgender and transgender, are wholly included, accepted and welcome.
- EQUALITY ISSUES: We dedicate ourselves to develop the potential of all persons to become more fully human. To do this, we work toward the eradication of all constraints on our personhood based on ascribed social roles of women and men, transgender and queer persons, and to promote inclusivity in all areas of liturgical and community life.
- SOCIAL EVENTS: We provide activities of a social and recreational nature in an atmosphere where friendships can develop and mature, and where our sense of self acceptance and dignity is affirmed.